Saturday, March 07, 2009
Puttanesca (cos thats all i can really think about right now)
Hello folks! It's been awhile, hasn't it. There's been a lot that's happened since the last blog post, and since i usually only blog when I'm troubled by something or I have nothing else better do, i guess you could say that I've been good.
Now first thing i want to say. Scottish people pronounce "awhile" with the H not silent. It really is quite wheird.
So, it's my final semester in scotland, before i graduate with my degree and head off to manchester to get my med degree. This sem is dissertation sem, cos i'm doing an honours degree. That means, practically no classes, no exams, just plain research and writing. 10000 words on subtalar arthroereisis. Now that is what you'll probably have to go through if you're thinking about going to med school.
Doing nothing else but writing a paper really isn't as easy as most people would think. It gives you a false pretense of free time. I'll call it "pseudo-free-time". You think you have a lot of free time, and then the deadlines fly and smack you in the face, and before you know it you're thinking, "why did i spend all my time watching football and learning how to cook spaghetti alla puttanesca?!!" (
BTW, i make a mean spaghetti alla puttanesca. My favourite dish. For those who don't know, it is a pasta sauce made with anchovies, black olives and lots of chilli. Magnificento, muacks)
It's the
medical school ball today. It's going down in edinburgh, which is the capitol of scotland also 2 hours away.
I'm wearing a KILT. Yes, and not any kilt, a sleek black one, with black socks and a black dagger, and the rest of the works are just as classy. Only things missing from my set-up are a bag pipe and a whiskey bottle. I think the pictures will pop up here... yeah i think so.
And just to add, i will be wearing something underneath the kilt. Contrary to popular belief, modern-day scotsmen
DO wear underwear dunder their man-skirts, just because it gives added.. um. protection. I think. Plus, it's freezing!
Oh yes, a couple days ago, there was a bomb threat in the medical school. Someone called in and told the admin that there was a bomb somewhere in the school. It was evacuated, the bomb squad came, the whole shazlam. It was a hoax. I wasn't there at the time, but that's something that doesn't happen everyday, and hopefully it stays that way. Apparently, it was the Animal-rights activists who were responsible
.
About a week back, a whole group of students participated in an "occupation" of one of the university buildings. They were picketing for the university give some kids from Gaza scholarships. What they did was to basically skip their classes, and go to the building and "occupy" it, and in doing so disrupting anything else that was scheduled to happen in the building. Lectures, classes, seminars. Sheesh. Here's my opinion: regardless of whether the university should give kids from Gaza scholarships, you shouldn't be disrupting classes here. It's never right to use fear and intimidation to get something you want.
I've been reading a book (for some time now), "Mere Christianity" by C.S. Lewis. It is a great book. It pretty much explains Christianity in a simplicity that most Christians didn't even know about. Lewis doesn't oversimplify things though, which would be a travesty, but he puts it in ways that make it so easy to understand and remember. I think anyone and everyone should read it.
Talking about that, i learned something pretty mind-blowing in bible study on tuesday. I don't think i can even explain it, but basically, that the new covanent is not limited to the new testament (and therefore isn't limited to after the birth of Christ). Jeremiah 31, hebrews 11. It's theology. I need more explanation, but it really is changing the way i look at
things. If someone knows what i'm talking about, and can clarify, please do.
Ok, off to try on my kilt.